Buckley (Bwcle in Welsh) is the second largest town in Flintshire.
Buckley's name is derived from the Anglo-Saxon bok lee which means field or meadow. Some of its houses were recorded in the Domesday Book and it was next mentioned as the pasturage of the Manor of Ewloe in 1294.
Buckley gained prominence as a centre for pottery and coal mining from the seventeenth century onwards and by the eighteenth century it was famous for its pottery and earthenware products. The geology of the area allowed surface mining of coal. The heavy clay soil was also suitable for brick manufacture and the town exported large quantities of bricks throughout Britain and overseas. The River Dee was important as a method of transport for these heavy goods while pottery was taken to Chester market by road. The last pottery kiln closed in 1946, but Castle Cement Works at Padeswood is still in operation.
Buckley gained urban district status in its own right in 1898, having been split between Mold and Hawarden until this time. Today it has a population of around 18,500 and has some light industry. It still commemorates the Buckley Jubilee on the second week in July. This originated from the Buckley Temperance Society who first organised a ceremonial march, starting on the Common, over 200 years ago.
AND NOW : -
Buckley Memorial (Hawkesbury)
9TH SEPTEMBER 1951 AT 3 P.M. The Garden will commemorate those who fell in the Great Wars 1914 - 1918 and 1939 - 1945. The Right Hon. Lord Kenyon, D,L., J.P., will unveil the Cenotaph in the Garden of Remembrance. The Service of Dedication will be conducted by the Lord Bishop of St. Asaph. Salute will be taken by Brig. H.S.K. Mainwaring, C.B., .B.E., D.S.O., J.P., Lord Lieut. of Flintshire. The Band of the 4th Bn. The Royal Welch Fusiliers (T.A.) (by kind permission of Lieut.-Colonel L.H. Yates) will be in attendance. "Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friend"
THE ORDER OF SERVICE: God save the King Hen Wlad fy Nhadau Lesson: Gospel of Saint John, Chapter 10, verses 11 to 18 and Chapter 15, verses 11 to 13, read by the Reverend A E Newman Prayers: For the British Empire For those who have suffered through war For peace Hymn: Before the Almighty Father's throne.
Unveiling of the cenotaph by The Right Honorable Lord Kenyon, D.L., J.P. Dedication of the Garden of Remembrance Last Post and Reveille sounded by the Buglers of the Band of the 4th Battalion Royal Welch Fusiliers Memorial of the Fallen Hymn: O Valiant hearts, who to your glory came. Address Hymn: Once to every man and nation The Blessing ; Anon ; Dedication of Buckley Garden of Remembrance;