BUCKLEY AT WAR

Forums

Forum Home > ww1 > Two Brothers From Hawarden

sketch
Site Owner

"John William Harding (Bill) and his younger brother Frederick James Harding (Fred) were 'orphanage boys' - that is to say, they were brought up at the

orphanage ( about 20 boys ) which Mrs. Gladstone, wife of the Prime Minister William Ewart Gladstone, established within the grounds of Hawarden castle.

The Harding brothers were from London, and were not in fact orphans. ( I understand from my mother, that their father was 'in service', but had a drink problem )

My Grandfather and his wife had two sons. My father and his brother. The family were the first tenants of the 'Red Lodge' on the Gladstone estate.

So my father and his brother, and the orphanage boys, were all friends together.

Eventually the time came for the boys to leave the orphanage, and Mrs Gladstone asked my grandmother if she would be prepared to give these two brothers a home,

when they needed one, and she readily agreed. So my Grandparents then had four sons instead of two.

The boys were educated at the newly opened Hawarden County School. Bill went on to Chester college and trained as a teacher. He taught at a school in Liscard, near Wallasey.

In 1914 Bill enlisted in the Liverpool Scottish Regiment, and was killed on active service in August 1916.

This was a tremendous blow to the family, as the two Harding brothers were much loved.

Fred, the younger brother joined the Royal Navy and made it his career. You will see the details of it from his service record. When leaving the Navy he

was given a clean bill of health, but, in fact, had contracted tuberculosis. He died in the late autumn of 1939.

He is buried in Hawarden Churchyard, I know where the grave is situated, but there is no headstone."

August 11, 2011 at 6:55 AM Flag Quote & Reply

sketch
Site Owner

August 11, 2011 at 6:56 AM Flag Quote & Reply

sketch
Site Owner

August 11, 2011 at 6:57 AM Flag Quote & Reply

sketch
Site Owner

August 11, 2011 at 6:58 AM Flag Quote & Reply

sketch
Site Owner

More photos here :- http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/sets/72157627301718186/

August 11, 2011 at 6:59 AM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.

Recent Forum Posts

by Carol Doherty over a year ago
by sketch over a year ago
by sketch over a year ago

Recent Videos

2736 views - 0 comments
3214 views - 0 comments
2886 views - 0 comments
2706 views - 0 comments